NEW HIGHWAY CODE
On 30 June 2003 the new highway code came into force.
The most dangerous infringements on the motorway are: breaking speed limit of 130 km/hr by over 40 km.; travelling on the wrong side of the road; travelling on the emergency lane; drunk driving; not maintaining the safety distance; overtaking on the right; carrying dangerous substances without authorization.
MAIN NORMS OF CONDUCT FOR MOTORWAY USERS
- Do not break the maximum speed limit of 130 Km per hour.
- Wear seat belts
- Respect "no overtaking" regulations
- Always indicate when overtaking.
- Always travel with headlights switched on, even during the daytime..
- Only use a mobile phone while driving if it is equipped with an earphone or a loudspeaker.
- Do not exceed the alcohol level of 0.5 grams per litre.
- In case of fatigue, stop at a service station or lay-by area.
- Use the first free lane on the right.
- Do not ever do a u-turn and do not drive in reverse.
- Respect safety distance.
- Do not use the emergency lane
For further information and details on the highway code see the website of the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructures